Hey guys, this is Mauricio. I’m the CEO and one of the founders of Cloudwards.net.
We are a website featuring software and online service reviews, comparisons and guides for consumers and small business owners.
Our core mission is that we never compromise on quality. That’s why we focus on providing in-depth content that explores the tools and services from every possible angle while answering the reader’s most pressing questions.
Our guides and roundups are always practical in nature so that the reader can start to apply the tips and tricks directly to their problem. We never ‘hard sell’ somebody on a solution or software, instead, the reviewer needs to be a friendly advisor to guide the reader through a jungle of marketing superlatives found on vendor websites.
You will be part of our core team of writers and you can produce at least one quality review/article/guide per week. The word count is generally more than 2,000 words and can be as high as 20,000.
As the core part of our website is comprised of reviews and roundups, one of the major tasks will be playing around and testing software, online tools and services, and even hardware, like hard drives, network attached storage devices etc…
WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR “SEO POSTS”, or ‘marketing writers’, also if you’re an agency, please do not apply (though you probably apply anyway with your boilerplate cover letter).
Short content may be published occasionally, but this is the exception rather than the rule.
Please look at some of our reviews and articles to get an idea of the content that we’re looking for:
Here are some of your responsibilities as a writer:
- reviewing, testing and comparing software (mostly cloud based)
- Writing guides for different services and software
- Creating general roundups comparison 5 or 10 software products from a given category
- Working with our editorial team and responding to their feedback and instructions
- Working with Google Docs and our editorial calendar, sticking to deadlines
- Creating speed tests (for example for VPN or cloud storage services)
- Creating comparison tables and think about what features to include/exclude.
- Creating screenshots of software products and services, making annotations and upload the images onto our shared drive.
The Ideal Candidate
Let’s be clear: mediocre content is not going to work for us. You have to be willing to dive into the details and go beyond just Wikipedia and your typical web research.
Your main area of expertise should clearly be in tech and surrounding topics. If your friends consider you a hardcore nerd, that possibly just right for this job.
- You enjoy details and nerd culture
- You’re a great native English speaking writer
- You research the heck out of every topic and devour tech magazines, plus your feedreader has always 1,000 unread posts and you’ve created dozens of personal Google Alerts for the topics you’re passionate about.
- We don’t have to explain the difference between online backup and cloud storage and MB/s and Mbit/s.
- You’re paranoid about backups and use at least one online backup solution, plus a local backup setup.
- You’re a stickler for details and extremely organized, maniacally proofreading your work until perfection.
HOW TO APPLY
We only accept applications through our Google Docs form:
If your application looks promising, you’ll be asked to write a PAID test article (most likely a software comparison of two services). This test article will be around 1,000 words. Note, that this is only to gauge your writing ability.
Normally, these articles will be longer, sample can be found here: https://www.cloudwards.net/google-drive-vs-box/